SOFT PLASTIC RECYCLING
We can accept all the following items for recycling:
• Reusable carrier shopping bags (100% polypropylene)
• Carrier Bags
• Bread, pasta & rice bags
• Fresh produce bags and net citrus bags
• Frozen food bags (frozen vegetable, fries, burgers, nuggets, poultry etc.)
• Confectionery wrap and lolly bags
• Dairy wrappers
• Plastic packaging around toilet paper, kitchen towels, nappies and sanitary products
• Courier packs
• Newspaper and Magazine wrap
• Chocolate & muesli bar wrappers and Biscuit packets (wrapper only)
• Chip packets
• Squeeze pouches (keep the lid on)
• Ice cream wrappers
• Cereal box liners
• Bubble wrap and large sheets of plastic that furniture comes wrapped in (cut into pieces the size of an A3 sheet of paper first)
The Love NZ Soft Plastics Scheme is about recycling soft plastic bags and wrappers because we’ve found new uses for them. Collect all the soft plastics which you use at home, make sure the bags are empty, clean and dry, and drop them into the Love NZ Soft Plastics Recycling bins at these participating stores.
Soft plastic packaging is not collected for recycling by councils because it can contaminate the recycling process. New Zealanders use over 1.6 billion plastic bags in the home every year. The project is supported by major brands and if one of your favourite brands isn’t on board, let them know. We can only provide this recycling service because brands help pay for the collection, processing and recycling costs.
There actually isn’t any value in soft plastics – its not like other recyclables like glass and aluminium - so we have to pay to have it recycled. That’s why we need to have manufacturers and big brands contributing to the costs of recycling this soft plastic.
The project takes all soft plastic bags including bread bags, frozen food bags, confectionery and biscuit wrap, chip bags, pasta and rice bags, courier envelopes, shopping bags, toilet paper and other sanitary hygiene wrappers- basically anything made of plastic which can be scrunched into a ball.
Bring your used soft plastics back to store and put them in the recycling bin. The Packaging Forum organises the collection services for every participating store.
One of our recycling partners is Replas Australia who turn our soft plastic waste into park benches and fitness circuits for playgrounds.
Buying Furniture made from Recycled Plastic Bags!
You can buy products made from recycled soft plastic now. Check out our Products Page and watch a video of Replas explaining the soft plastic recycling process below!